At 8z Rentals we love to help people find the perfect home or apartment. We also know that moving can be an exciting time, but it can also be very stressful. If you are moving to a new house or apartment you will want to think through that move very clearly. Here are some ideas to help you ensure your moving day goes as seamlessly as possible.
- Sort and purge. Make sure you get rid of whatever you do not want to keep. Be hard on yourself here. If you haven’t used it for a year it is probably time to let it go.
- Make sure you have the right supplies. Get boxes, tape, markers, packing materials, labels ready and available. You will need more than you think, so purchase them or pick them up used. Check Craigslist for people getting rid of boxes. Usually you can pick them up for free.
- Hire and confirm a mover or moving vehicle. Make sure you have a mover lined up, you have rented a truck, or some good friends with vehicles.
- Pack! It’s easy to put it off, but you need to get it done. So start as early as a month out.
- Clearly label all boxes. Make your life easier by labeling all boxes and furniture to ensure you know where it goes and what is in the box. You think you will remember what’s in each box, but you won’t.
- Change your address. Make sure you change your address with the United States Post Office. You will need to do this ahead of time if you want all mail forwarded. Don’t forget this is a limited time change of address so you still need to let everyone know about your move. Change your address link.
- Notify important parties of your move. Contact banks, brokerage firms, your employer’s human resources department, magazine and newspapers you subscribe to, and credit card, insurance, and utility companies.
- Arrange to be free on the move day. This is true even if you hire movers! They will need you to tell them where things go.
- Pack a survival bag. This should include all the things you [your family] absolutely need to access in the days before and after the move. [e.g., medicines, clothing, important documents, etc…]
- Don’t forget the needs of any pets. Keep out supplies you need for your pets to travel to stay safe during the move, travel to your new location, and have their needs met at your new spot. [e.g., food, water bowl, crate or cage, etc.]
Moving can be tough work! Getting organized can help! Best of luck on your move from the team at 8z Rentals!